Monday, October 29, 2007

I just realized i actually have a harder time opening up than i thought. I'm really a personal person and this blogging thing has only just made me realize how bad i have it. There are actually only two people in my real world that know i have a blog. One has no access to it, at least that's what i think, and the other, "my friend" i blogged about, i doubt can remember the web address. Yet i realize that i can't open up on the blog; i would rather blog bout someone else's story or gist than mine. Hmmm, Interesting.

Anyway, while doing some blog rounds, i realized one thing a lot of we female bloggers have in common is our male isssues, and the funniest of late is that of those looking for "life partners." I read a post from vera's blog and i completely share the sentiments. Thanks Vera for keeping it too real. (Those when are you getting married, or when is your turn questions are alot nerving.)



What's funny is that i've seen and heard my engagement being planned infront of me without me being engaged. My uncle, aunt, and i had just gotten back from one of many weddings, i guess this one must have been a really nice one, can't even remember myself but i do remember while we sat analyzing everyone and everything that went down, the conversation drifted to how they would do it different for my wedding. It was so funny it was ridiculous; the conversation went from how the back of the house would be decorated, the canopies to be rented, to the colors of the day, the "elere" as we yorubas call the entertainers to perform, and all the good stuff involved with weddings. All of this planning going on without me being engaged o. What i'm i talking about, infact without me having a boyfriend. Sad huh?



I understand they are anxious like every other parent but abeg, can they cut me some slack. Every guy friend that comes looking for me has become a potential in my house and my uncle is quick to ask what kinda friend after the initial introduction. Atleast, i like his style, his quick to ask in front of the two of us-it's ok, i always prepare them guys ready if they are coming to the house for the first time. My aunt on the other hand waits until we're alone to ask what the deal is with the guy. Of-course i'm quick to say we're just friends, then she begins her short lecture on being a good wife, and the fact that we women just have to deal with men the way they are, they don't have to be perfect, just try to work with what you have...blah, blah, blah.



And then there are the other uncles and aunties out there, including those ones that are not even real aunties and uncles, the by default ones. Those ones that often expect you to bring some dude to an event or the other and when that does not happen they ask "Oko e da?" like Oko translates to husband, abeg who put ring on my finger? Then they also want to introduce you to some random dude they believe will make a good husband or that they are convinced is a good match for you; meanwhile i'm thinking to myself why the dude can't find his own babe. One of several reasons, his a tat bit too old, (forgive me for this), but maybe his razz, or he just cannot talk to a female by himself. Oh yeah, there is also that uncle that asks any and everybody if they have a good and intelligent younger brother, cousin, or friend that is looking for a wife. Maybe they've not heard me say it loud enough, I CAN FIND MY OWN MAN, AND I WILL!! Just waiting for God to do His thing!

On the other hand, it's funny how there are still the ones that believe that i'm so secretive and hiding the guy. Common now, i'm getting old, at my age why would i be doing under J with any guy? Although, the rate everyone around me is desperately waiting for it, i may just keep the guy on the downlow for real. Like some guy also told me, "i don't look like the kind that does not have a boyfriend. I'm actually considering writing "No man" on my head to church on for sundays. Not like there are any eligible bachs' at my church sha, but just a thought, would like to see the reults.

I've also heard that i'm too fast in judging guys and condemning them. This i know is not true really. Ok, so i like smart people, is that my fault? I can't stand a guy that can't keep up a conversation, or a guy that his conversation is centered around the same boring stuff, so i'm into nigerian politics? What is wrong with that? If you don't follow it, it's ok but don't give me a dumb look like i'm out of my mind. I say you're "cynical" and you're asking me what does that mean? or our conversation can only be sweet when it's in yoruba, now that's the worse one of all. I've actually had a guy tell me he prefers to speak yoruba than english, silly, that's because you can't speak good english.

Ok, i started this post with something else in mind and i think it's taken another direction and it's just a rant now. I can't be bothered to go back and edit either, it's become a long post too and that's because i'm in the library and too tired to actually study so i thought i'ld write...

3 comments:

princesa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
princesa said...

These days when my aunts & uncles see me, the first sentence that comes out of their mouth is:
"When are you calling us now?" or
"Our throat is dry o!"

Me sef dey avoid them now.
Am dreading going to the villa this xmas but my mum will scream blue murder if i dont! She says i dont want to 'showcase' myself(whatever that means).LOL!

Unknown said...

Princesa: i'm glad i'm not the only one in the situation o. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me too.