Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter

I’m sorry that for a minute I became one of those people that had forgotten the real meaning of Easter. An older friend of mine had mentioned something about a get-together for Good Friday and as usual got excited about an opportunity to socialize until another friend suggested that Good Friday was not a good day to have a party. More like it was a time for reflection. Even though I argued lamely that we had been redeemed, the same excuse I gave for not following the lent fast; I knew that I had to take a minute and check myself.

The true meaning of Easter, like Christmas for those of us following the Christian faith has been lost amidst all the bunnies, candies, baskets, the bright colors of spring, etc. For some reason I knew I needed to be sober to reflect. This year so far I’ve not been the best of Christians as I was last year and maybe I need to get myself together “God forbid I miss heaven!”

Today I ponder and imagine the suffering, the pain, the agony, the disgrace that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ went through just so that my dumb ass doesn’t roast in Hell. I imagine the amount of blood he shed while being beaten just so that atonement can be made for all those stupid sins that I allow my body to commit constantly; that same blood that still cleanses when I humble myself enough to ask him to please forgive me again and again.

I imagine my Lord on the Cross of Calvary, his head down, his neck probably broken along with every other bone/rib in his body, nails drenched into his palms like a dangerous, mental criminal, yet he was blameless, he had not committed any of the sins he was accused of. Yet He bore it ALL! A sacrificial lamb – “THE LAMB OF GOD.”

Oh but how wonderful is He, yes he died, but then he ROSE again on the third day just so that all what he had been saying and the scriptures be fulfilled. He even appeared to many- eat and drank with them and after 40 days He left again to that beautiful place I must make – HEAVEN.

I wanted to watch the movie “Passion of the Christ,” but I couldn’t bring myself to, yet today I REMEMBER!

Feel free to read these Scriptures.

Matthew 27 & 28, Hebrews chapter 9, Leviticus chapter 4, Isaiah chapter 53

3 comments:

Allied said...

Amen oh.. i also realise that easter has always been another day for me..

I will repent.. Thanks

Good Naija Girl said...

Thank you for that reminder. I really like the simple yet heartfelt message you delivered!

Happy Easter.

Kafo said...

well said
happy easter

for mii something was said yesterday that totally blew my mind off on the whole easter thing

Jesus had to surrender to that which was weaker

and here i am in 2008 having a hard time surrender to my uncle and dad

hmmm
u have mii thinking tho