Saturday, December 1, 2007

Okra Soup

Eba goes well with okra
Pounded Yam goes best with okra
Semo goes well with okra
Grounded Rice goes best with okra.

That's my opinion...

I just had Semo and Okra and it went well.

Couple of years back, when i was young and ignorant of the devices of the enemy, an aunt took me along with her to see some white clothed man, after dealing with her case, he must have seen some vision about me because he decided to voice out the fact that i must never eat okra again.

Prior to this, i had never had any reaction to okra so that was wierd, but as long as i was at home i stuck to the rule without telling papa schic. Well, as per being a boarder, and anyone who has been a proper boarder for secondary school in naija knows how it goes down in the dining hall. (Please ehh, i'm not talking about those boarders in schools like VF, A-Hall, Adesoye College, and the likes) I'm refering to those federal government boarders especially. So the first couple of weeks after semester resumes, i exchange my midweek eba and okra (or that watery imitation of okra soup) for someone else's watery beans.

Unfortunately, during that period when everyone is down on provision and visiting day is still a couple of weeks away, i shrenked that food deal and had to go and eat my eba and okra, nullifying any negative effect it may have on my body. Hence, back to eating my okra; except that for a very long time, all my visits back home, i never eat okra but going back to school was a thrill because that same eba and okra soup (ila alasepo) had become my favorite meal.

I'll take okra soup over any other kind anyday anytime...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're making me hungy oh!!!

Allied said...

My.. i am craving okra soup and pounded yam

Unknown said...

Sorry for making you people hungry o. Abeg, find some pounded yam and "ila asepo for yourself."

Afrobabe said...

lol...a lot of yorubas dont seem to like okra and its got nothing to do with the spiritual...

I personally love okra when its made with ogbono...yummmmmy..

Gosh you take me back to boarding school and all those horible watery soups.