Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We recently had guests visiting from home with their 2 little adorable kids.

Even though the kids spoke English, the accent was quite interesting, to say the least... I was telling a friend that if i happen to live in Nigeria, i would have to send my kids abroad like every 3 months just to polish their English.

What they say about Nigerians being loud is absolutely correct! I could tell with the little boy that he didn't know any better. As much as i loved the way he pronounced every single word with a "dotted T" it was still funny and wierd to me.

I'll love for my kids to not only speak good english, but i feel like they should also be "polished" (for lack of a better word) with it. I think after sending them abroad for a while, they'll realise the way it's spoken.

I can't fully explain it but that's the gist of it...lol

5 comments:

Rita said...

I think the polishing counts...I have worked with people whose native language is not english but how they speak is really polished. It leaves me impressed.

Afrobabe said...

Polishing counts but we dont want to loose our individuality cos its what makes us unique...

Unknown said...

afrobabe: oh, i don't think they could loose their identity because they would live in nigeria...just that the speaking has to be polished...i think the way we speak sometimes commands respect...

Anonymous said...

But can't they acquire this polish within Nigeria? I think it should be very possible!

tobenna said...

Definitely possible GNG.
Depends on what you expose your kids to. Ever notice how we Nigerians innocently 'babytalk' to kids, inadvertently corrupting their english? eg. Go and 'baff' instead of go and have your bath. Wonder where we got that one from.
Spot on Afro.
Our uniqueness is .....
Our uniqueness commands respect :)